Thursday, June 8, 2017

Review: With You Always (Orphan Train #1) by Jody Hedlund




With You Always is the first book from Jody Hedlund's new series, Orphan Train. It starts off in New York during the 1850s. Since becoming orphans, Elise Neumann finds herself taking care of her sisters, Marianne and Sophie, and two other young orphans, Nicholas and Olivia. Due to a financial crisis, Elise has no choice but to leave them behind to take a job in Illinois with the Children's Aid Society. During her train ride west, she meets Thornton Quincy. At the time she does not realize that Thornton is the son of one of New York's most prominent citizens. He is in competition with his twin brother, Bradford, to see which one can build the most successful town, fall in love, and get married to the one they are in love with, within six months. The winner will inherit their dying father's company. How will Elise and Thornton's future change when their worlds collide? What happens to Elise's sisters and young orphans after she leaves for Illinois? Will Thornton be able to pull it off and win the competition with his brother?

With You Always gives me yet another reason why Jody Hedlund is among my favorite authors. She really knows how to write unique stories that are full of faith, emotion, love, and inspiration. With You Always is no exception. I have been excited since I learned that she would be writing about the historical orphan trains. I am definitely not disappointed. She perfectly describes how Elise and her sisters would have lived in New York during that moment in time. The struggles and descriptions are so vivid, I felt like I was transported back in time living right beside Elise. There were some things that made me giggle and others that made me want to cry at the horrors of what the women had to go through to live.

With You Always is my top favorite book I have read so far in 2017. I had only planned to sit down to read a few pages, but found myself staying there until the last page was read. I would most definitely highly recommend this book and cannot wait until the second book in the series releases.

100+ stars.

I received this book from the author, but was not required to write a review. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.



Follow me on BloglovinFacebookPinterestTwitter, GFC or Email

2 comments:

  1. I like this review! A good review is so helpful when I am choosing a book This is such an interesting time in our country's history!

    ReplyDelete