Monday, February 14, 2022

Review: Bullets and Silver by Nik James

 




Blurb: 

In this gritty and action-packed historical western, temporary lawman Caleb Marlowe must face his worst enemy by fighting his own kin.

Colorado, July 1878. The nationally famous solar eclipse is almost upon the country and a peak overlooking the fledgling town of Elkhorn is one of the centers of attention. In the midst of boisterous and chaotic frontier pre-celebrations, Caleb Marlowe—reluctantly deputized for the coming event—learns that local power broker Judge Horace Patterson is targeted for assassination by agents of a financial magnate.

Caleb's efforts to thwart the plan, however, are complicated when a ghost from his past shows up with the intention of blackmailing him. Elijah Starr, acting for a railroad robber baron, will use any ruthless method at his disposal to clear the way to control a planned rail line to be built through Elkhorn. Caleb is commissioned to bring Starr in to face justice after the assassination attempt, but he has his own burning agenda. Starr is his own father, the man who abused and murdered Caleb's mother.

Caleb swears his mother's death will be avenged and justice will prevail...or he'll die trying.



My Review: 

Bullets and Silver is the second installment from the Caleb Marlowe series. It is, also, the first book I have read by Nik James. It definitely will not be the last. Even though this is part of a series, I felt that I was able to gather enough information to read it as a stand alone. Being a western fan, I was excited to have an opportunity to read this one. I was far from being disappointed. I enjoyed getting to know Caleb. He was an entertaining character that kept me intrigued. The book is not a long one and I had no problem reading the whole book in one sitting. It was full of action, suspense and adventure. Everything I love in a book. I thought every single page was great!

I am giving Bullets and Silver five stars. I highly recommend it for readers who enjoy reading historical westerns. I look forward to reading the other books from the Caleb Marlowe series, especially the first book, High Country Justice, to find out what happened previously.

I received a paperback copy of Bullets and Silver from the publisher, but was not required to write a positive review. This review is one hundred percent my own honest opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment