Perry Solomon is a proud grandfather whose greatest joy comes from the close, loving relationships he shares with his six grandchildren. From the moment each one was born, he embraced every opportunity to be part of their lives, creating meaningful connections across generations. As he writes this book, his youngest grandchild, Opal, is eight years old, and his eldest, Cassie, is twenty-one. Perry believes that nurturing strong bonds, creating joyful memories, and offering steady support are among the most important gifts a grandfather can give.
Perry and his wife, Marie, live in Santa Monica, California. He is the stepfather of two daughters, Candace and Sabrina. Together, their growing family continues to be his greatest inspiration and the heart of his legacy.
You Will Not Break Him
By Perry Solomon
Prepared for Amy at Locks, Hooks and Books
The first time I cared for my eighteen-month-old grandson Felix by myself, I was not the calm, confident grandfather I hoped to be. His mother was in labor, and I was responsible for him for the entire day. Sensing my concern, my daughter offered a memorable reassurance: "Don't worry, you won't break him."
She was right. Felix and I explored a street in Venice, California, wandered through shops, had lunch, and simply enjoyed being together. That ordinary day helped inspire what our family now calls Grandpa Day, dedicated one-on-one time between a grandchild and me.
Many new grandfathers carry quiet doubts. Will I know what to do? Will we connect? Has too much changed since I raised my own children? Those questions are natural. The good news is that grandchildren do not need a perfect grandfather. They need one who is willing to show up.
Showing up means more than being in the same room. It means slowing down, putting distractions aside, and entering the child's world. Let your grandchild choose the game. Ask what happened in a favorite class. Listen to the full answer before offering advice. Keep the promises you make, especially the small ones.
A grandfather also needs to remember that parents set the boundaries. Our role is not to take over. It is to support the family, respect its values, and provide another steady source of patience and love.
I made mistakes as a parent, a business leader, and a grandfather. We all do. What matters is being honest, learning, and returning with greater understanding. Children benefit from seeing that love does not require perfection.
That first solo day with Felix did not go according to a carefully written plan. It gave us something better: time, trust, and the beginning of a tradition. If you are a new grandfather wondering whether you are ready, start there. Show up, pay attention, and let the relationship grow one small adventure at a time.
My Review:
When I look back on growing up, the first thought that comes to mind, is the time I spent with my grandfather. Grandpa Day: Nurturing Grit, Smarts, and Love in the Next Generation by Perry Solomon is for Grandfathers to show them how they can develop a lasting bond with their grandchildren. With reading it, I could not help to remember those special days I spent with my own. I thought the author perfectly shows ways on how to be a wonderful grandpa. He uses his own experiences, wisdom, and guidance on how this can be achieved. I liked his telling of his own personal stories and what he learned along the way. Such a wonderful treasure and gift for the newest of grandfathers to the experienced. I loved it.
I am going to give Grandpa Day: Nurturing Grit, Smarts, and Love in the Next Generation five stars. I highly recommend it for readers who are grandfathers and are searching for ways to bond with their precious grandchildren for years to come. I believe it is a wonderful book to read that gives great advice on this influential role in a child's life. I am curious to see if Perry Solomon will right more self help type books. I received a paperback copy of Perry Solomon's Grandpa Day: Nurturing Grit, Smarts, and Love in the Next Generation from the publisher, but was not required to write a positive review. This review is one hundred percent my own honest opinion.




No comments:
Post a Comment