Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Double Review: Valley of Treasure / Ocean of No Escape by Susan K. Marlow



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Blurb: 

The hunt for the lost gold is on!Jem Coulter and his friends celebrate the end of the Civil War in their town with firecrackers, parades, and anticipation for a bear-and-bull fight. But chaos ensues when a bull breaks loose, causing wood splinters and fence posts to rain down and break his cousin Nathan's legs. With the Coulter family unable to afford a San Francisco surgeon, the family and their friend Strike-It-Rich Sam devise a plan to raise money. Jem, his sister Ellie, and Strike embark on a quest to recover lost gold. Will they find their treasure in the valley, or will they have to strike more gold in order to help



My Review: 

Valley of Treasure is the fifth installment from Susan K Marlow's Goldtown Adventures series. Even though I am not the targeted audience for this book, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved going back in time and taking this journey with Jem and his friends. I thought it was a delightful read with some valuable life lessons that everyone of all ages could learn from.

I am giving Valley of Treasure a very well deserved five plus stars. I highly recommend it for readers who are between the ages of eight and twelve years. I am eager to read the next installment from the Goldtown Adventures with book six, Ocean of No Escape.

I received a paperback copy of Susan K Marlow's Valley of Treasure from the publisher, but was not required to write a review, nor a positive one. This review is one hundred percent my own honest opinion.





My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Blurb: 

Is escape even possible when you've been shanghaied?Jem Coulter, his family, and Strike-It-Rich Sam journey to San Francisco with the newfound gold to see if surgery can fix Nathan's broken legs. The uncertainty of Nathan's recovery leaves Jem bored and worried, so he heads to the waterfront to explore. The merchant ships look exciting--where could they be sailing?A sailor's invitation turns into an unexpected kidnapping that forces Jem into the life of a cabin boy. Forced to eat awful food and filled with a fear he'll never see his family again, Jem wonders if he can escape by jumping ship. Join Jem on the deck as he navigates the rough seas.



My Review: 

I have always loved Susan K Marlow's books and was excited to read her sixth installment from her Goldtown Adventures series, Ocean of No Escape. I was not disappointed. Jem gets himself in quite the predicament and I had to continue to read to find out how he would find his way home. It was a great story to read and loved it.

I would love to give Ocean of No Escape more than five stars if I could. I have no doubt that young historical fiction fans will love it as much as me. I hope there will be more to come for Jem and his friends in the Goldtown Adventures series.

I received a paperback copy of Susan K Marlow's Ocean of No Escape from the publisher, but was not required to write a review, nor a positive one. This review is one hundred percent my own honest opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment