Friday, November 17, 2023

Review: The Sea's Edge by Garth Pettersen

 

The Sea's Edge by Garth Pettersen

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Blurb: 

1030 C.E.: Harald, the second son of King Cnute—ruler of Engla-lond, Danmark, and Norvegr—with his wife Selia, attempt to live as landholders in Mercia, away from the constraint and intrigues of his father's court.

However, on a rare visit, Cnute tells Harald he's being sent to the Kingdom of Dublin to meet with their Norse-Irish allies. Harald’s mission is to coordinate an invasion of the northern Welsh kingdom of Gwynedd to replace King Rhydderch who is growing too powerful on England’s borders.

Harald is reluctant to be involved in his father-king's affairs of state, and not just because his beloved wife, Selia, is unwell. Harald cannot refuse to go and assures Selia he will not have to take part in the fighting.

Once on his journey, Harold is not drawn to his Norse-Irish allies but comes to respect the foe he must kill.

Will Harald carry out his father-king’s commands to unseat a strong and just rule, or will he tread a more righteous road, which will destroy the life he and Selia have built together?



My Review: 

The Sea's Edge is a great addition to Garth Pettersen’s The Atheling Chronicles series. I have greatly enjoyed the previous three books and this one does not disappoint. I was once again travelled back in time and meeting Harald, the second son of King Cnute. I found myself immersed in this journey with him. The historical details made me feel as though I was part of his world. Overall, a fabulous read.

I am giving The Sea's Edge five stars. I highly recommend it for fans and lovers of historical fiction, particularly from ancient Britain. I advise readers to not miss out on the previous books from The Atheling Chronicles series, as well. As always, I will be eagerly awaiting the next read from Garth Pettersen.

I received a digital copy of Garth Pettersen’s The Sea's Edge from the author, but was not required to write a review, nor a positive one. This review is one hundred percent my own honest opinion.



View all my reviews

3 comments: