Thursday, June 14, 2018

Review: A Rebel Heart (Daughtry House #1) by Beth White



Blurb (from Amazon):

Five years after the final shot was fired in the War Between the States, Selah Daughtry can barely manage to keep herself, her two younger sisters, and their spinster cousin fed and clothed. With their family's Mississippi plantation swamped by debt and the Big House falling down around them, the only option seems to be giving up their ancestral land.

Pinkerton agent and former Union cavalryman Levi Riggins is investigating a series of robberies and sabotage linked to the impoverished Daughtry plantation. Posing as a hotel management agent for the railroad, he tells Selah he'll help her save her home, but only if it is converted into a hotel. With Selah otherwise engaged with renovations, Levi moves onto the property to "supervise" while he actually attends to his real assignment right under her nose.

Selah isn't sure she entirely trusts the handsome Yankee, but she'd do almost anything to save her home. What she never expected to encounter was his assault on her heart.




My Review: 

A Rebel Heart is a fabulous start to the Daughtry House series. Beth White did a wonderful job transporting me back in time to post Civil War era Mississippi. I loved Selah right at the beginning and I admired her strength and determination. She is a type of character I feel connected to and feels as though she is a close friend. I, also, enjoyed Levi and thought he was a perfect addition to the story. 

I give A Rebel Heart five plus stars and I am eagerly waiting for the next installment from the Daughtry House series.

I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment