Monday, May 7, 2018

Review: The Hidden Side by Heidi Chiavaroli



Blurb (from Amazon):

New York, 2016

Natalie Abbott offers answers for hurting listeners on her popular radio program. But she struggles to connect with her teenagers, with her daughter in an unhealthy relationship and her son uncommunicative and isolated. When one member of the family commits an unspeakable act, Natalie is forced to uncover who she truly is under the façade of her radio persona.

New York, 1776


Mercy Howard is shocked when her fiancé, Nathan Hale, is arrested and hanged as a spy. When she’s asked to join the revolutionary spy ring in Manhattan, she sees an opportunity to avenge Nathan’s death. But keeping her true loyalties hidden grows increasingly harder as the charming Major John Andre of the King’s Army becomes more to her than a target for intelligence.

Mercy’s journals comfort Natalie from across the centuries as both women struggle with their own secrets and shame, wondering how deep God’s mercy extends.




My Review: 

I thought The Hidden Side was a good read. I do have some mixed feeling with it. I am a huge fan of time slip and historical fiction. I, also, love reading anything involving the Culper Spy Ring. However, I was not that interested with the historical scenes with this book. They were interesting but they were just okay to me. When I got to the modern day parts of the book, I did not want to put it down. There were so many current issues being brought out: rape, bullying, school shootings, childhood trauma, and mental health. I truly cried while reading about these issues. Ones, I related to. So much tragedy and trauma for all to try to overcome. 

If I was rating just on Mercy's historical story, I would give it 2 stars. With the Abbott Family's story, I would rate 5 plus stars. Since I have to rate the whole book altogether, I will give it 3 1/2 stars. 

I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion. 



Follow me on BloglovinFacebookPinterestTwitter, GFC, Etsy or Email

No comments:

Post a Comment