Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Review: The Refuge by Ann H. Gabhart


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Blurb:

When Darcie and Walter Goodwin hear of a new cholera epidemic sweeping the area, they join the Shakers whose villages seem immune to the disease. It's meant to be a temporary stay, but Walter is killed in a riverboat accident. With no family and no money, Darcie has little choice but to stay with the Shakers. To complicate matters, she is expecting a baby conceived before she and her husband came to the Shaker village. Marital relationships are considered sinful in this celibate community, putting Darcie in a unique--and lonely--position. Can the arrival of widower Flynn Keller and his headstrong daughter offer Darcie the hope of happiness . . . and family?

Ann H. Gabhart returns to the enigmatic world of the Shakers in this emotional exploration of the power of love and the bond of family




My Review: 

The Refuge is a great read. I loved this historical involving The Shaker Village of Harmony Hill. I was heartbroken for Darcie when she lost her husband. Especially, when she was learning of her expecting a little one. When I was introduced to Flynn and his daughter, Leatrice, I instantly loved them both. Leatrice is such a cute and smart little girl. So sad she lost her mother at such an early age. When Flynn fears for her life, he turns to the Shakers for help. 

I give The Refuge a very well deserved five plus stars. This is overall a beautiful story of forgiveness, second chances, faith and hope. 

Highly recommended!

I received this book from the publisher, but was not required to write a review. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment