Author: Jeannie Wycherley
Narrator: Kim Bretton
Length: 4 hours and 20 minutes
Series: Wonky Inn, Book 1
Publisher: Jeannie Wycherley
Released: May 3, 2019
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Alfhild Daemonne has inherited an inn. And a dead body. Estranged from her witch mother, and having committed to little in her 30 years, Alf surprises herself when she decides to start a new life. She heads deep into the English countryside, intent on making a success of the once popular inn. However, discovering the murder throws her a curve ball. Especially when she suspects dark magick. Additionally, a less than warm welcome from several locals persuades her that a variety of folk - of both the mortal and magickal persuasions - have it in for her. The dilapidated inn presents a huge challenge for Alf. Uncertain who to trust, she considers calling time on the venture. Should she pack her bags and head back to London? Don’t be daft. Alf’s magickal powers may be as wonky as the inn, but she’s dead set on finding the murderer. Once a witch, always a witch - and this one is fighting back. A clean and cozy witch mystery. Take the opportunity to immerse yourself in this fantastic new witch mystery series, from the author of the award-winning novel, Crone.
Genre-hopping introvert and word witch living somewhere between the forest and the sea in East Devon, UK. Jeannie finds inspiration everywhere: in myths, stories and songs, while people watching, a word here, a look there. However, her main inspiration comes from the landscape. Devon has it all - a rocky coastline, pebble and sandy beaches, narrow winding lanes and picture perfect cottages, steep cliffs and an abundance of forest. A good day for Jeannie means a blustery wind, racing waves and salty rain. She lives with her husband and two dogs, makes a lot of soup, plays too many computer games and loves watching movies.
An accomplished and award winning actress with West End and Broadway theatre credits Kim has been doing voice over work for 15 years. She has voiced cartoon characters for the BBC and been a regular vocal impersonator on a popular London radio show. Kim has narrated and produced 15 audiobooks since she joined ACX this year! Her voice over clients include Carnival Cruises, Gucci, Sennheiser, American Express, HRH UK Prisons systems, Doubletree Hotels, Victorian Trading Company and so many more. Quick, reliable and always professional.Kim has a reassuring, kind and expressive style.
The Wonkiest Witch is the beginning of Jeannie Wycherley’s series, The Wonky Inn. Alfhild Daemonne’s story is so delightfully fun and entertaining. Alf finds out she has inherited her mother’s inn in the countryside of England. When she goes to claim her inheritance, all she finds is a crumbling inn, unpleasant townspeople, and a …. Dead body! She suddenly is thrown into a world of mystery, dark magic and suspense.
I enjoyed The Wonkiest Witch. I found this cozy little mystery a fun read. I could not help but to laugh at some of Alf’s adventures and the situations she gets herself into. The narrator on the audio version did a great performance bringing Alf to life. I hope she continues to narrate the other books in the series.
I give The Wonkiest Witch a very well deserved five plus stars. I can not wait to read the next installment from The Wonky Inn series.
I received the audio version of this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Jeannie Wycherley. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
Dream Cast Author Jeannie Wycherley
- Alfhild Daemonne – Karen Gillan (Amy Pond in Doctor Who)
- Millicent Ballicott – Kathy Bates
- DS George Gilchrist – Laurence Fox (DS James Hathaway in Lewis)
- Wizard Shadowmender – Bill Pullman
- Mr Kephisto – Tcheky Karyo (from Baptiste)
- Jed Bailey – Boris Van Severen (Salamander/Baptiste)
- Erik Daemonne – Bryan Cranston
- Penelope Quigwell – Nicole Kidman
- Gladstone Talbot Lloyd – Hugh Grant
- Charity – Rebel Wilson
- Rhona Marsh – Ashley Judd
- Stanley Marsh – Stan Laurel
- Lyle Cavendish - Stephen Graham (Line of Duty)
- Sally – Cameron Diaz
- Mortimer – Elvis Presley
- Red Daltry - Kristofer Hivju (Game of Thrones)
- Finbarr – Devon Murray (Seamus Finnigan in the Harry Potter series)
Character Profile for Alfhild Yasmin Daemonne
- Age: Recently turned 30.
- Birthday: 20th March (Spring Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere)
- Star sign: On the cusp of Pisces into Aries
- Place of birth: Near Glastonbury in Somerset in the UK.
- Parents: Yasmin and Erik Daemonne.
- Siblings: None
- Height: 5 ft 8
- Weight: Curvy, but otherwise none of your business
- Shoe size: UK 8 (US 41?)
- Eyes: Green
- Hair: Reddy brown and lots of it. Wild curls. Usually dishevelled.
- Fashion sense: Jeans and t-shirts. Lots of black. Witchy robes in plain charcoal.
- Freckles: On her nose.
- Music: Loves a bit of rock, jazz and blues. A Foo Fighters fan.
- Loves: Cake. Tea. Owls. Walking in the woods. Baths. Relaxation.
- Hates: Vampires, the cold – especially the snow, getting up early, Maths!
- Ambitions: To learn to drive, to run a successful business.
- Marital status: Single
- Current job: Innkeeper
- Previous jobs: Barmaid, landlord, manager of nightclub.
- Characteristics: A little sarcastic, great sense of fun, intelligent, feisty, scatterbrained at times, adventurous, loyal, friendly, inquisitive, has a notable sweet tooth, observant.
➜Sign up as a host here
Post a Comment