Thursday, March 21, 2019

Review: How the Light Gets In by Jolina Petersheim




My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Blurb:

From the highly acclaimed author of The Outcast and The Alliance comes an engrossing novel about marriage and motherhood, loss and moving on.

When Ruth Neufeld's husband and father-in-law are killed working for a relief organization overseas, she travels to Wisconsin with her young daughters and mother-in-law Mabel to bury her husband. She hopes the Mennonite community will be a quiet place to grieve and piece together next steps.

Ruth and her family are welcomed by Elam, her husband's cousin, who invites them to stay at his cranberry farm through the harvest. Sifting through fields of berries and memories of a marriage that was broken long before her husband died, Ruth finds solace in the beauty of the land and healing through hard work and budding friendship. She also encounters the possibility of new love with Elam, whose gentle encouragement awakens hopes and dreams she thought she'd lost forever.

But an unexpected twist threatens to unseat the happy ending Ruth is about to write for herself. On the precipice of a fresh start and a new marriage, Ruth must make an impossible decision: which path to choose if her husband isn't dead after all.




My Review: 

How the Light Gets In is one of the best books I have read so far this year. I was not sure how I would like it when I first read the blurb, but once I opened it up, I was hooked. I could not put it down until the end. It has quite a twist that I had no idea was coming. A reader will never predict what happens throughout this book. The author’s note in the end helps explain how and why Miss Petersheim wrote this story. Readers should have their tissues ready. I was not prepared to do so.
I would give How the Light Gets In one hundred stars if I could. It would be very well deserved. It is most definitely a must read. I highly highly recommend this book. I would love to read more like this one by Jolina Petersheim in the future.
Great read!
I received this book from the publisher, but was not required to write a review. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment