Saturday, February 15, 2020

Review: Veiled in Smoke by Jocelyn Green

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Blurb: 

Meg and Sylvie Townsend manage the family bookshop and care for their father, Stephen, a veteran still suffering in mind and spirit from his time as a POW during the Civil War. But when the Great Fire sweeps through Chicago's business district, they lose much more than just their store.

The sisters become separated from their father, and after Meg burns her hands in an attempt to save a family heirloom, they make a harrowing escape from the flames with the help of Chicago Tribune reporter Nate Pierce. Once the smoke clears away, they reunite with Stephen, only to learn soon after that their family friend not only died during the fire--he was murdered. Even more shocking, Stephen is charged with the crime and committed to the Cook County Insane Asylum.

Though homeless, injured, and suddenly unemployed, Meg must not only gather the pieces of her shattered life, but prove her father's innocence before the asylum truly drives him mad.




My Review: 

I could not help but to squeal with delight when I found out Jocelyn Green had a new series, The Windy City Saga, coming out. Veiled in Smoke does not disappoint. I loved every single page of this book. It is probably one of my favorites I have read by her to date. She obviously did extensive research to write this book. The historical details were so vivid, I felt like I was right there with the characters living in the moment of the events surrounding the story.
I am giving Veiled in Smoke a very well deserved five plus stars. I can not wait for the second installment from The Windy City Saga to release.
I received this book from the publisher, but was not required to write a review. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment