Friday, January 4, 2019

Review: We Hope for Better Things by Erin Bartels

We Hope for Better Things
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Blurb: 

When Detroit Free Press reporter Elizabeth Balsam meets James Rich, his strange request--that she look up a relative she didn't know she had in order to deliver an old camera and a box of photos--seems like it isn't worth her time. But when she loses her job after a botched investigation, she suddenly finds herself with nothing but time.

At her great-aunt's 150-year-old farmhouse, Elizabeth uncovers a series of mysterious items, locked doors, and hidden graves. As she searches for answers to the riddles around her, the remarkable stories of two women who lived in this very house emerge as testaments to love, resilience, and courage in the face of war, racism, and misunderstanding. And as Elizabeth soon discovers, the past is never as past as we might like to think.

Debut novelist Erin Bartels takes readers on an emotional journey through time--from the volatile streets of 1960s Detroit to the Underground Railroad during the Civil War--to uncover the past, confront the seeds of hatred, and discover where love goes to hide.



My Review:

We Hope for Better Things is a great introduction for me to Erin Bartels's work. I enjoyed this book. It tells the story of several women living in different eras. I was intrigued with all three and how it all ended for them. I had it read in one day.

We Hope for Better Things gets a four and a half stars by me. I can not wait to see where else Erin Bartels takes her readers to in her next novel. I highly recommend this one.

I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment