Thursday, February 4, 2021

Review: Shadows of the White City by Jocelyn Green


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Blurb: 

The one thing Sylvie Townsend wants most is what she feared she was destined never to have--a family of her own. But taking in Polish immigrant Rose Dabrowski to raise and love quells those fears--until seventeen-year-old Rose goes missing at the World's Fair, and Sylvie's world unravels.

Brushed off by the authorities, Sylvie turns to her boarder, Kristof Bartok, for help. He is Rose's violin instructor and the concertmaster for the Columbian Exposition Orchestra, and his language skills are vital to helping Sylvie navigate the immigrant communities where their search leads.

From the glittering architecture of the fair to the dark houses of Chicago's poorest neighborhoods, they're taken on a search that points to Rose's long-lost family. Is Sylvie willing to let the girl go? And as Kristof and Sylvie grow closer, can she reconcile her craving for control with her yearning to belong? 



My Review: 

Shadows of the White City is the second installment from Jocelyn Green’s The Windy City Saga. I had the pleasure of reading the first book, Veiled in Smoke, and was excited to have the opportunity to read this one, too. It does not disappoint. It was so very good. I enjoyed getting to know Kristof and Sylvie. The mystery, suspense, danger and adventure had me intrigued all throughout the book. So very good.

I am giving Shadows of the White City a very well deserved five plus stars. I highly recommend it for readers who enjoy reading clean historical fiction. I will try to be patient as I wait for the third book from The Windy City Saga. I can not wait to find out what happens next.

I received Shadows of the White City from the author, but was not required to write a review. This review is one hundred percent my own honest opinion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment